Slab tiles are the latest trend sweeping through Australian homes, and have been featured heavily on the most recent series of The Block.
Yes, slab – or large format – tiles are really taking over, both inside and out.
Tiles in this format are extra large and slim. They mirror natural stone’s appearance very well.
Slab tiles are beautiful and practical, opening up new design opportunities for any home.
And tiles of this size and design have a slender profile and maximum visual impact, making them the perfect choice for exteriors and interiors alike.
Why choose slab or large format tiles?
Using slab tiles instead of traditional tiles has a number of benefits, including:
- Fewer grout lines to worry about
- Easier to clean and maintain
- They visually expand the room
- Due to their thin profile, you can lay them straight over your existing floor tiles
- Greater durability and longevity
- Using them on multiple surfaces such as exteriors, interiors, floors, walls and fixtures
- Requires minimal cutting
- Generates less wastage than standard-sized tiles
Ideal areas for slab or large format tiles
- Indoor cladding
- Outdoor cladding
- Wet areas
- Fireplace surrounds
- BBQ areas
Large format/slab tile ideas for flooring
Large format/slab tile ideas in the bathroom
Why choose large format tiles?
- A large format tile trend is on the rise for its countless benefits, unsurpassed flexibility, and maximum visual impact.
- Their thin and lightweight nature means less cutting and they generate less waste.
- Compared to rendered walls, slab tiles are a less expensive alternative to marble.
- The porcelain composition of large format tiles makes them long lasting, maintenance-free and the available colour and finish options increase their design flexibility.
- Large format tiles will give a smaller room a more spacious appearance and feel, with less grout lines overall, and for larger spaces, such as commercial facades, they can bring a sense of harmony and proportionality.
- You can get the look and feel of stone without the price, and weight.
Large format/slab tile ideas in the kitchen:
The use of modern porcelain slabs offers a smart upgrade from the porcelain tiles seen in more dated kitchens. The beauty of natural stone can be achieved with innovative products and stone-look slab tiles.
Why use a slab or large format tile benchtop?
Countertop surfaces blend into a seamless design of kitchen tops, vanity tops, and stairs made from one piece of tile.
This is probably because porcelain slabs are lightweight, economical and recyclable.
Because porcelain is non-porous, colour-fast, and heat and stain resistant, it’s suitable for food preparation. And these benefits add an extra level of hygienic protection too.
Additionally, large format tiles have a higher resistance to:
- Acids and alkalis
- Mould and fungus
- UV rays
Porcelain slab tiles can be used inside and out.
But due to their considerable size, large format tiles require specific handling and installation techniques, along with specialised equipment.
Ensure all large format tiles are cut, handled and installed safely by trained professionals.
How big are slab or large format tiles?
Slab tiles are big – ideal for feature walls, floors, benchtops, facades, and even a porcelain veneer for furniture. But the true beauty of slab tiles lies in their practicality and authenticity.
In summary: Slab or large format tiles
• Extra large size (1600x3200x6mm) available
• Smaller sheets are perfect for floor-to-ceiling bathroom applications (1200x2780x6mm)
• Excellent representation of natural stone
• Can be cut to any size to suit on site
• Does not require sealing
• Can be used near heat/flame
• Stain and mould resistant
• Premium, quality Italian-made options
• Made from natural materials
• UV stable – can be used outdoors
• Sustainable, green and environmentally-friendly
Central Coast Tile And Stone Warehouse is your local specialist at sourcing and supplying quality tile, natural stone, travertine and pool mosaic solutions for renovators, builders and commercial clients across the NSW Central Coast, Sydney, Newcastle and Hunter regions. We help transform any space from average to stunning, saving you time, hassle and – most importantly – money! Contact us today for all your slab tile needs.